at the Museum in Loachapoka
On the second Saturday of every month, a group of history re-enactors gather at the LCHS Museum in period attire to demonstrate their arts and crafts. Blacksmiths are working at the forge, spinners and weavers are in the textile room, the gardeners are in the gardens, crafts and seasonal activities are scheduled, and someone is always cooking up a meal in the fireplace or outdoors. The Whistle Stop Pickers dulcimer group meets at the Museum at 1 pm. The Museum is always open on Second Saturdays. Activities are different each month. Come join the fun, eat lunch, learn an new craft, pick a song, listen to the music.
The following activity stations will be available to the children/parents who attend July’s “2nd Saturday” CHILDREN’S DAY, this Saturday at Pioneer Park:
1) Visiting the chicken coop , including petting the hens
2) Learning about the bee hives and tasting their honey
3) Making a 1850’s doctor visit, and being served a orange/grape float by the doctor’s wife at her soda fountain
4) Planting an heirloom flowering plant to take home, in Grandma’s flower garden
5) Watching the blacksmiths at the forge, including some participation for those of appropriate age
6) Having a photo taken in the 1850’s outdoor jail
7) Grinding corn and watching the shooting of a Creek Indian bow and flint rifle in the Indian display
8) Learning to play a simple song on the dulcimer and playing/singing for the parents, with autoharp, guitar and dulcimer accompaniment
9) Attending “school” in the log cabin, with the school master, and seeing a pioneer one-room home
10) Making dessert for themselves and others in the cookhouse
11) Making a pioneer toy to take home, downstairs in the Trade Center
12) “Ginning” cotton by hand and using it to make a church doll to take home, upstairs in the Trade Center
The activities will be available from 9:30 till 12:30. Lunch of hotdogs, baked beans and chips, with the “children made” desserts will be served beginning at noon, for a donation. No fee will be charged for the children’s activities.
The Whistle Stop Pickers will be practicing in the Trade Center beginning at 1:00. Anyone who would like to stay to listen is welcome.